What a crazy weekend it has been! I am happy to say around 1:10 pm we finally got power back. There were a few VERY hot nights, but otherwise we are all safe and well and that is really all that matters!

The hurricane threw a little bit of a wrench in our original weekend plans, but we still had a blast!

Hurricane Damage

As I said in my last post, the damage was minor over all. A few downed trees, some messed up siding on the house and some missing shingles. It could have been much worse.

The wind was crazy. It had been so long since I had been in a hurricane I forgot how it felt. It was a long night and due to the high winds we weren’t able to go to bed until well after 2:00 AM.

Friday Morning

Friday was my rest day so once I got up we enjoyed some relaxing time out on the dock. It felt cooler outside of the house so it was a nice break.

We did a little bit of clean up and then eventually took a break to go into town for a while and see all that was going on.

Zoe on the Dock

Zoe has become quite the dock dog and will just sit out there with us all day.

Saturday I woke up a little bit early and thanks to the purchase of a generator we slept much better since we were able to add a few fans blowing throughout the night.

I set out on a new course and since I didn’t have internet access to map out a course, I decided on a direction and ran 5 out and then turned out and came home.

10 Miles

I ran a total of just over 10 miles. It actually felt really good. The humidity was way down from the last time I was here and I really felt like my legs were fresh. I know that besides the flat roads around here that the step back week has been very beneficial.


I actually ordered some new shoes right before coming down here and got the chance to try them out. They were AWESOME! They are a slight stability shoe and feel so comfortable.

Zoe Tired

Once we finished hauling all the fallen trees to the dump we spent the rest of the afternoon napping. This picture pretty much sums up how laid back the later part of the afternoon was. Oh, and I finally got take my first shower of the weekend since we had running water again. Hooray!


Once we were all rested up we headed into town for some Mexican. I took this picture because I thought it was really funny. My margarita is on the left and my mother-in-law’s on the right. She got the monster and it was seriously the size of my head! I am pretty sure they would have to carry me out if I got that.

We will probably take it easy around here in the morning and then head back home sometime in the afternoon. Overall, even with the power outage and hurricane it has been a great time with family!


Ok, so since it is Sunday here is a recap of my running (which was a step back week):


5 miles



1 mile warm up
3  x 1 mile repeats
1 mile cool down

6 miles



5.5 miles


Thursday (7/3)

20 minute warm up
2 minutes, 1 minute 30 seconds, and 30 second intervals followed by equal recovery.
10 minute cool down

7 miles


Friday (7/4)

Rest Day


Saturday (7/5)

10 miles


Sunday (7/6)

6 miles (That is the goal at least. We will see what it ends up being).


I should end the week right around 39 miles which is right on point to where I should be. To say that take a step back week was easy would be a lie, but I know it was exactly what I needed both mentally and physically.

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend!


How did your running go this week?

What did you do for the 4th?

Pin It on Pinterest